Picnic Sandwich Loaf
- 1 16-ounce loaf Italian bread, split lengthwise
- ½ cup bottled Caesar vinaigrette salad dressing
- 2 Tablespoons minced green onion
- 2 Tablespoons minced ripe olives
- ½ cup grape or cherry tomatoes, minced
- 8 ounces thinly sliced bologna
- 4 ounces thinly sliced peppered salami
- 3 ounces sliced Fontina cheese
- ½ bell pepper, seeds removed and cut in very thin strips
- 2 very thin slices sweet onion, divided into rings
- Remove soft center of bread by gently pulling from the bottom and top halves to form two shells with ½-inch thick walls.
- In a small bowl, mix vinaigrette with onion, olives and tomatoes. Lightly coat each half of the loaf with vinaigrette mixture.
- Build sandwich with layers of bologna, salami and Fontina on the bottom half of the loaf. Space bell pepper rings and onion rings atop Provolone.
- Cover with top half of bread.
- Tightly wrap sandwich in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 15 hours.
- Keep cold while traveling to picnic site and just before serving, unwrap and slice into 6 sandwiches.