Picnic Pasta and Smoked Sausage Salad
Perfect as a picnic side dish or a light meal.
- 14 ounces smoked pre-cooked sausage vinaigrette dressing * (or use 1/2 cup prepared vinaigrette dressing)
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and mashed
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta (2¼ cups)
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 cup finely chopped green onion (with green tops)
- 2 large medium red ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots (1 medium carrot)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned
- Additional fresh basil for garnish
- Bring pan with 2 to 3 inches of water to a boil. Turn heat off and add sausage. Immediately cover pan and let sausage stand 15 minutes. Remove sausage to a plate and let cool in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette dressing by mixing dry mustard, salt, pepper and vinegar together in a small bowl. Slowly whip in olive oil to form an emulsion.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Place in large bowl and toss with ¼ cup vinaigrette dressing.
- When cool, slice sausage into thin ¼-inch slices. Remove garlic clove from vinaigrette dressing.
- Add sausage, peas, onion, tomatoes, carrots and remaining vinaigrette to the pasta. Sprinkle top with cheese.