Hot dogs ... New Orleans style!
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 hot dogs or knockwurst
- 10 hot dog buns, split
- Cook bacon over medium heat in a heavy skillet until crisp. Remove and reserve bacon.
- Drain all but 2 teaspoons of the bacon drippings. Add onion and green pepper and cook until soft. Stir in diced tomatoes, all spices and seasonings. Reduce heat, cover and gently simmer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium heat. Place hot dogs/wurst on grill rack, about 4 to 5 inches from the heat. Cook hot dogs/wurst to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- During last 3 to 4 minutes of cooking, open hot dog buns and lightly toasted buns over indirect heat.
- Place hot dogs/wurst into toasted buns. Ladle Creole Sauce over hot dogs/wurst. Sprinkle with chopped bacon.